It’s 8am on Saturday, a usually quiet and sleepy time before the San Francisco Centre Downtown opens up for business. This week was a little different, though. This Saturday, there’s already a long line to the elevators to go up to Nordstrom. As the doors open up to the main floor, we’re welcomed by bumpin’ jams from an unseen DJ and are escorted to follow the music up the escalators.
Finally, we make our way to the top floor to find that this season’s Beauty Trend Show getting ready to go into full force. It’s only 8:15am and already there are more than 400 women swarming around, grabbing goody bags from greeters, warming up on hot coffee courtesy of the show, and making their way through to find seats.
I wish I took a picture of the set up because let me tell you, it was looking as fabulous as I’d imagine a fashion show in NYC. There’s a cat walk, bright lights, music – the ambiance was so lively and full of energy, it was almost too much for me so early on a Saturday morning! We looked to find our seats and get ready for the Beauty Trend Show to begin.
Hot off the heels of the Sex and the City movie, the theme of this season’s show, hosted by Nordstrom Beauty Director Joelle Russo, was aptly named Summer in the City. In three acts, we got to see what the hottest looks were as we officially move into summer.
Act I: Warm Metallics are in! Try copper, bronze or rust colored eye shadows to give your look some texture with warmth. Sweep some bronzer on your face and finish your look with a layer of shimmery gloss for your lips for an all-around pizazz.
Here are my picks to Get the Warm Metallics Look:
1. Bobbi Brown Metallic Eye Shadow ($20 US) in Penny is a gorgeous golden copper
2. Laura Mercier Bronzing Duo ($32 US) with two shades gives a warm, coppery wash to give you a healthy radiance
3. NARS Lip Gloss ($24 US) in Misbehave is a sheer cherry red with gold shimmer
Act II: High-Impact Color brings the sexy back in blues! Pair the summer’s warm bronzes and gold with cool splashes of blue. Blue is back in a big way but you don’t have to fear the bold colors of the 80s. These indigo hues are all modern for the contemporary woman.
Get the High-Impact Color Look with with these favorites:
1. MAC Eyeshadow ($14 US) in Blue Flame can be used to create a hot, smoky eye or used as an accent on the lash line for a perfect pop of color
2. Chanel Aqualumiere Lipshine with SPF 15 ($27 US) in Mauritius is a sultry golden shade for your pout
3. Shu Uemura Gloss Unlimited ($22 US) in OR 580N is a sheer and shimmery coral. Apply it over your lipstick for staying power that gives your lips that extra oomph for summer.
Act III: Play up the natural sun-kissed look with makeup in Golden Hues. Add touches of gold throughout your face so that light reflects and enhances your features. Try wearing gold eye shadows in the inner corners of your eyes, pick glosses with shimmering gold flecks, and give your body a luminous glow with a brush of gold powder on your shoulders and décolleté.
My picks to Get the Golden Hues Look are:
1. Stila Eyeshadow Trio ($26 US) in Gold Glow helps you rock this summer trend in style
2. Smashbox Desert Chic Lip Enhancing Gloss ($18 US) in Sand adds a bit of sheer gold to any lip color
3. Laura Geller Baked Body Frosting ($40 US) in Honey Glow can be applied with a big powder brush to your face, shoulers, arms and cleavage. It’ll make your friends envious thinking you just got back from a weekend in St. Tropez!
I had such a great time at the Nordstrom Beauty Trend Show yesterday and it doesn’t stop here folks! Be on the look out for Part 2 and 3 where you’ll see me get made over by Lancôme National Artist, Jason, and I’ll share with you the #1 summer trend – you won’t want to miss it!
Love this post? Subscribe to The Daily Cookie RSS feed and email and don’t miss out on my coverage of the Beauty Trend Show this week!